Wilsdruff transmitter

The transmitter Wilsdruff is a medium wave radio broadcasting facility near Wilsdruff, Germany. Until the nineties there was a transmitter for 1044 kHz with 250 kilowatts transmission power. This was a 153-metre guyed steel tube mast, insulated with respect to ground. Since the mid nineties transmission power is only 20 kilowatts. The new transmitter is in a circular building on which the mast stands. The old transmitter of the fifties is a technical monument. The whole facility is a relic from the Joseph Stalin era with a high fence (double fence with dog track and watchtowers) which is still almost

The transmitter Wilsdruff is a medium wave radio broadcasting facility near Wilsdruff, Germany. Until the nineties there was a transmitter for 1044 kHz with 250 kilowatts transmission power. This was a 153-metre guyed steel tube mast, insulated with respect to ground. Since the mid nineties transmission power is only 20 kilowatts. The new transmitter is in a circular building on which the mast stands. The old transmitter of the fifties is a technical monument. The whole facility is a relic from the Joseph Stalin era with a high fence (double fence with dog track and watchtowers) which is still almost complete.


Diesel engines are employed for an emergency power supply, modified from World War II submarine engines. The program "MDR info" transmitted from here on 1044 kHz. From 2001 to 2003 a second transmitter for MEGARADIO on 1431 kHz was operated. This also used the 153-metre-high (502 ft) steel tube mast as its transmitter.